WordPress Lessons: Applicable for VR?

WordPress Lessons: Applicable for VR?

What Can We Learn From WordPress To Boost the VR Content Market?

1 Like

This is such an interesting take, @irina. I wonder though if the ‘clear approach that allows anyone to create VR/AR content’ you’re advocating for would do enough to counteract the seeming lack of (sustained) consumer interest in VR projects and downward investment trends in VR funding?

1 Like

Thank you @natasha ! I definitely see your point, there are still many issues to overcome for the VR industry. However, I still see a huge potential for it to develop in this direction. It will require time and investment, but that is what we learn from the WordPress story: what first sounds crazy, later becomes a reality. The first steps in this direction have already been taken, and in the future, I can definitely see it happening despite all the current doubts.

2 Likes

Hey @irina, I think whoever can make a viable content management system specifically for VR/AR will be a large and successful company. Two things this article made me think of:

1. Wordpress powers just texts and images (for the most part). Text especially is extremely cheap to host. Wordpress.com does it for free and if you install Wordpress on your own domain, hosting text content is cheap even with a large audience. In comparison, VR/AR content is extremely expensive to host. I think this would be easier to achieve if you already had a large cloud hosting infrastructure (Azure, AWS, GCP, DO, etc.).
  1. VR/AR as a whole, because of the hardware burden on the consumer, has a big distribution problem. Another approach to solving this problem, could be building up a large community / distribution channel before releasing the software to more creators, i.e. so when they first use the new VR/AR CMS, they get some network effect content distribution benefits.
1 Like

Great article @irina and I totally agree that the barriers to creating XR content need to be lowered. We’re building a “Wordpress for XR” at BrandXR. I just posted our Founder Story check it out and we’d love to have you as an early beta tester!