WordPress and Web Developers

With web development frameworks and trends growing at such a rapid pace do you consider WordPress as inadequate? WordPress currently seems to have a vast amount of market share within web development services. From a developer standpoint what are your opinions on WordPress and it’s relevancy?

3 Likes

As a developer, and as a writer: WordPress sucks. The UI/UX is totally unintelligible. If there weren’t 3+ different ways to publish a draft, I might not get anything done. I don’t understand how it got so popular in the first place. I mean, in 2003, when WordPress came out, there wasn’t anything better, exactly, for publishing your own blog. And it’s powerful, and there are a lot of useful plugins…it’s utilitarian software turned up to 11.

As for its relevance today, I don’t see any aside from an entrenched position in the blogging space. Yes, it runs 30% of the web, but for how long? With platforms like Ghost, it’s becoming easier and easier to publish your own content (and of course, there are always sites like Hacker Noon :wink:). I see WordPress like I saw Apache a few years ago: on the way out, supplanted by smaller, scrappier alternatives (like nginx, in Apache’s case).

1 Like

I think Wordpress is absolutely fine if you just need a simple blogging platform with very specific bells and whistles that are a part of the WP ecosystem. But don’t use WP as a platform to build a complex CMS…or really anything it wasn’t designed for. It is just not designed to be a generic do-everything platform.

2 Likes

@austin @Jordan

Wordpress can be amazing for web development if you do Headless integration. I’ve done a few WP themes before for traditional WP installations and I’ve also used it as a Headless CMS system. And I can really recommend the headless option.

One cool example: I had the opportunity to work on a mobile app project that used Wordpress as the main source of data, all the content on the app was managed on a headless wp installation which is totally different, and I was amazed on how performant and flexible it was.

The beauty of headless WP is that the website or app structure is totally independent to WP installations. It only uses Wordpress to pull or push data and you’re able to manage it on the CMS. You can also customize the WP CMS completely, I’ve seen wp installations that doesnt look like wordpress at all, ofcourse that involves a little more work from the developers, but it’s actually pretty cool.

I know traditional wordpress installations can be annoying, specially working with PHP, but I really recommend checking out headless WP development with WP custom fields and the WP API. You’ll be amazed of how much you can achieve with it (you can actually use Ruby on Rails, .NET, React, Vue, you name it).

Fun fact, the Whitehouse website uses headless WP
https://wordpress.org/showcase/the-white-house/

4 Likes

Nice. Headless would be a nice way to go with WP. It seems like caching is usually a pretty big sticking point for WP so this bypasses that problem.

Another big problem is the WP schema.The massive key/value dump isn’t a great solution for extending functionality. Any advice on bypassing the wp_postmeta table?

2 Likes

@Dane This article might come in handy:

Now, the part when it says “you are losing the power of the WYSIWYG editor” you can actually use the WYSIWIG by using WP Custom Fields Rest API as well, which works pretty good.

I’m with Austin here. Hate it! My prev company provided coding services and it was mostly WordPress. So i was able to put my nose into it a lot of times. i also was very inspired by community driven movement, but right now i’m just angry on it.

WordPress is not perfect, but it is great for small business. If you just want a small website, and you are not worried about growing your business online or using the website to make more sells,then this platform is for you.But if you have tons of content - it might not be the best CMS.
Also another disadvantage - security, but you are in charge of your website. It means you are also responsible for security, and installing updates.Cause WordPress’ many plugins can have vulnerabilities and be easily hacked, particularly if the website owner doesn’t update to the latest version or the plugin gets old.
So for me,these two disadvantages are the worst in that platform.
Generally speaking, WordPress is an ideal choice for anyone who wants to build an easy-to-manage site including common websites, blogs, everyday news sites. That is the reason why more than 2.1% new websites are built with WordPress.

I don’t agree. I always love an examples.
So here is one:
“A lot of people smoke cigaretes. And if you want look cool - you should start smoke. There tons of different brands, etc. If you stressed frequently - cigaretes can reduce some anxiety. You can do running, yoga, meditation, but why spend that time if you can smoke it cheaply and quckly? Another disadvatage - is cancer, but you know - it’s just a probability, right?”

Dont want to battle this things, but there so much more bad things under the hood so i hope wordpress decline will continue.

I always share this link when people ask me that question: https://statamic.com/why

" Why shouldn’t I just use WordPress? It seems like everyone else does." section is a good summary of my thoughts on the subject.

Actually i don’t think that security is a major issue with WordPress.
I mean if my appartment was robbed, because i forget to close my door before living - will I blame a company, that crafting a door?

1 Like

I’m going to say “It depends” (on what you’re building). Would you build a banking app on WordPress? Probably not, but a blog, or content heavy site – maybe. WordPress although mature is still evolving and there is still a very active community supporting it. The new Gutenberg editor (WP5+) has received a lot of hate-mail, some justified, and some simply because “we fear change”.

The landscape today is very different to when WordPress first emerged. There are now numerous, niche, options for building a web presence for what I’ll call simple use-cases. We are lucky to now be able to select the right-tool from a menu of cost effective and extremely powerful offerings. We have the likes of SquareSpace and Wix that allow non-technical people to construct fairly pro-looking sites from templates. E-Commerce platforms like Shopify, BigCommerce, and WooCommerce (WP plugin). Then you have the new-age “opportunity” builders like ClickFunnels. And the list goes on.

As developers, we often look to the shiny/new technologies and sometimes forget that we are there to solve a problem for people that will give us cash in return. Many live for the debate on pros-and-cons of various tools and forget to actually deliver real value to customers.

Here we have been developing bespoke enterprise apps for financial institutions for over 20 years now - none use WordPress. More recently, purely as an interest project, we decided to build a WordPress 5 theme with a bunch of “building blocks” for the new visual editor called Gutenberg. Our little interest project, Gutenize (gutenize.com), implements pure Bootstrap 4 components and styles using React framework. We are in the process of delivering and testing this with end-users that have little or no HTML/JS Development expertise but seek to control their own destiny. Many have been “held to ransom” by developers for minor changes and builds or to construct a quick Proof-of-Concept or MVP. Gutenize started as an interesting concept to see if we could empower non-developers to build out MVPs that look like bespoke software packages and it seems to be hitting the mark. We are also seeing interest from existing WordPress developers and we are working on a series of templates and tools to make professional web developers and agencies more efficient.

To conclude, we believe WordPress is still relevant and has a future. But most importantly, with all the advances over the last decade it is our job as developers to seek out the right tool for the job instead of just File -> New Project from within our comfort zone.

Depends on who the website is being built FOR. If you are building to hand off the website to someone who is NOT a developer, I’d go an easier route than Wordpress. As a software dev, I think Squarespace is one of the best self-serve platforms out there. It is easy enough for people with little-to-no technical background to maintain themselves and that is empowering.

1 Like

Wordpress is good for non-tech background customer/admin (think about who is going to use it).

As a freelancer, Wordpress is perfect I think. Most of the features (for small-size company) can be done by configuring plugin or small code change.

Performance is definitely a issue if your Wordpress based business needs to scale.

As a starter, it works great in a simple way.

1 Like

I am a freelance engineer. My clients prefer to build the website on Wordpress because it’s fast to build and useful UI to publich for non-programmer. I never used for my own project but it’s a good template for proving for non programmer companies. In addition, variety of plugins help them to realize anything what they want.

As a private project or freelance project i suggest wordpress because for speed, work easiness, customization etc.

1 Like