What's your favorite old-school video game?

Is the Gathering Storm expansion available on the Switch? I have it on PC, and the expansion is excellent. :ok_hand: There are natural disasters, climate change, a world congress, a “grievance” system that replaces warmonger penalties…it really rounds out the experience, makes it feel more like Civ IV in its complexity.

1 Like

No idea. It was released not too long ago, but maybe extension is available already. I’ll check it out, as soon as I end this war with Alexander the Great… :crossed_swords:

1 Like

My first system was an Atari 2600. Can’t remember which game was my favorite(Berserk, or Asteroids maybe) but this one stands out as being spectacularly god-awful

220px-Etvideogamecover

1 Like

This reminds me of a GamePro article on famous video game myths, which included the burial of several thousand E.T. cartridges in the desert. That one turned out to be partially true, but the urban legend that really stuck with me was Polybius.

From Wikipedia:

The original game allegedly was part of a government-run psychology experiment based in Portland, Oregon. Gameplay supposedly produced intense psychoactive and addictive effects in the player. These few publicly staged arcade machines were said to have been visited periodically by men in black for the purpose of data-mining the machines and analyzing these effects. Eventually, all of these Polybius arcade machines allegedly disappeared from the arcade market.

Wow, wasn’t aware of either of those. Bizarre!

Command and Conquer Red Alert.

2 Likes

marina kozachenko tupaya pizda

I’m shocked that no one here’s mentioned Street Fighter yet :joy: My ultra favorite!

7 Likes

No doubt. I logged many hours on Street Fighter II!

1 Like

Tetris !

2 Likes

220px-Xenogears_box

Xenogears has about the most complex story I’ve ever encountered in a game. I absolutely loved it!

3 Likes

SY445

2 Likes

How old school do we want to get?

220px-Light_Crusader

Light Crusader was a patently impossible Sega Genesis game that gave you absolutely no direction, was confusing, set up on some wonky diagonal system, with puzzles that made no sense…and yet~

It has one of the best soundtracks of any game, ever, and its difficulty actually makes it incredibly charming. GameFAQs didn’t exist when it came out, so everything was fresh, and nobody knew what was going on.

I kind of miss those days, a bit.

2 Likes

As old school as you want to get. :smile: Whatever “old school” means to you!

I got so spoiled on GameFAQs…I had a printout of the guide for the water temple in Ocarina of Time. :laugh:

That is a good soundtrack! It makes me want to figure out how to replicate 16-bit sounds in Ableton…

Since we’re talking about soundtracks, I can’t go without mentioning this gem:

1 Like

I mean you NEEDED a guide for that thing. What is it with JRPGs and bloody WATER TEMPLES? Amirite? :rofl:

Katamari Damacy still has, definitely, one of the best soundtracks of all time. Thank you for posting it :slight_smile:

Don’t forget Silent Hill 2! :slight_smile:
2 Likes

Oh god. That game is the stuff of nightmares…I wish I could play it now. :laugh: Except for the room with the keypad, that had a random sequence with no hints…I never got past that part. :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

The Historical Society part? The keys are illuminated, three of them, but you have to guess the combo. Oof. That part is also really hard. :slight_smile: Try to pick it up again! It’s an excellent narrative.

Same with Silent Hill 3. I wonder if these would be considered oldschool games now…?

2 Likes

Crash Bandicoot!!

3 Likes

the og pokemon game

5 Likes

Oy, that must’ve been it. I can’t believe I missed that haha. I’ll have to see if it’s available on the PS4 store later tonight…I really want to play it again. It’s easily the best psychological horror game I ever played.

I’d consider it old school, because I played it when I was younger. It means so many different things to different people, I intentionally made it vague so people would share any game that they consider “old school”. :slight_smile:

1 Like