What's your favorite old-school video game?

Feel free to define “old-school” any way you like :slight_smile: I’m personally curious to hear which games the HN community holds dear.

My favorite has to be Chrono Trigger. It has artwork by Akira Toriyama of Dragon Ball fame, time travel, talking frogs…all the essential elements are there. It’s the quintessential JRPG – if you haven’t tried it, I can’t recommend it enough.

Honorable mention: Final Fantasy VI. It was by far the most epic RPG of its time (over a dozen playable characters!) and it still holds up today as one of the best RPGs of all time.

What are your favorite old-school games? What makes them so great?

2 Likes

Shining_Force_II

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

41%20PM

3 Likes

03%20PM

5 Likes

SX342

1 Like

This!

1 Like

I loved Eye of the beholder. Completely forgot about that gem!

2 Likes

https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/67152-monkey-island-2-lechuck-s-revenge-amiga-front-cover.jpg

4 Likes

Awesome stuff, everyone! @David your mention of NBA Live reminds me of this gem:

street

That game was the ultimate arcade-like basketball experience (at least to me, having never played NBA Jam). Every player had special moves you could pull off, almost like a fighting game, and it included legendary players like Dr. J and Larry Bird, IIRC.

Around the same time, I was playing this as well:

Pure arcade fun, both of these games. In the Burnout series, the objective is to drive as crazy as possible to get boost points and go faster (like driving on the wrong side of the road, making your competitors crash, etc.). I still love those games – I have Burnout Paradise for PS3, but Burnout 3 was the pinnacle of the series.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I forgot about Dragon Warrior! Fun fact: the series is known as Dragon Quest in Japan, and they’re not allowed to release new games on weekdays because everyone will skip work and school to play it.

This game was my first RPG, and although I had a lot of trouble with it as a child, I eventually beat it (well, the Game Boy Color reissued version). It’s a classic, for sure – looking back, it probably influenced my dreams of making games just as much as Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger. Excellent choice, @Dane!

2 Likes

The Street Ball game reminded me of NFL Blitz. I loved that game.

4 Likes

What about the original Monkey Island? Still can’t get the MIDI theme song out of my head!

3 Likes

@derek I loved this game. I once got this working on my first computer which was a Leading Edge 8086 with a monochrome monitor and dual 5.25" floppy drives. Guess that dates me a bit. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

alex_kid

Alex Kid in miracle world for Sega Master System has to be one of my top 5 old-school games. I think it was the first game I owned and brings back good memories playing with my older brother who would help me when I got stuck on a level.

2 Likes

SX466

4 Likes

Rad. I was on one of the original macs back around that time, which were the 3.5" floppies. For a few years, I often encountered the unique strangeness of the 5.25" floppy while at a friends house where they used a TANDY 1000. I was a young’n back then to be sure. Some of my favorites were The Ancient Art of War, The Balance of Power, Dark Castle. Fun times.

My step-dad started building DOS computers right around the turn of the decade, upon which I first discovered Prince of Persia. The first game of its type (that I’d found) with fluid movements that extended to the dynamic swordplay. One of the greats!

1 Like

I’m playing Civ VI in the Switch these days, and it’s awesome!!

3 Likes