What's the Future of Remote Working?

I’m working on an article right now. And this thread is my way to get it published, hear opinions of community and have a great discussion about sharp topic.

It’s not only about remote work actually. it’s also about getting hired in default full-time in office job as well.

I have a set of small projects/job borads, that trying to change a default processes of hiring people.

And i have a different articles, that I collected, in order to undertand what “leaders” think about it.

Should I post them right now or let’s start from some conversation?

5 Likes

Bit off topic though, I wrote a piece on 3 generations of tech companies. Tried to provide some insights into old vs new office cultures.

Best tech companies to work for in 2019

Wow! Reading it - thanks for that content.

1 Like

Post it, I’m interested in reading something new about remote working

1 Like

Let’s start with set of articles from AngelList. I think they pivot from startups to job board for monetization. it’s not actualy only about remote working

AngelList Blog

6 Likes

I’m a freelance engineer. I work for 2 clients remotely. Imho, the productivity of the work have been improved since I started working remote. But 13 hours timelag ocuurs between me and clients. It’s sometimes terrible to communicate on time.

It’s a tip about the problem of remote working.

Looking forward to chip in. I just sent an article (pending to be published) about leading a product team and the issues of being a digital nomad.

Here is the draft and it is open for comments:

A few days back I published an article on Remoters making the case that remote teams can work if you want to build a Startup.

Looking forward to your feedback and collaborate in future articles :smile:

3 Likes

“There’s a ton of job opportunities constantly being tweeted out there and as much as I tried to retweet them all, they still got lost in the feeds.” - https://www.producthunt.com/posts/epic-jobs + https://www.producthunt.com/stories/how-to-successfully-turn-years-of-twitter-research-into-a-full-fledged-product

1 Like

I think SaaS like Buffer, Github and Automatic companies tend to let their employees work remote.

Is it related to the type of business? What do you guys think?

2 Likes

I think it depends on management style and/or lack or resources. I understand how easy is to grap team of young people together at some week hackaton so they will sleep at the same room with packs of redBull. But when you starting family/have child - you start to appreciate flexibility at work. Saem thing with “economy of experience” - when people didn’t tied with their local towns and be able to travel whole year and work remotely

Great report: https://hbr.org/2019/05/engagement-around-the-world-charted

I’m interested in growing this idea in my head. Imagine time, when someone will be able to change 52 jobs per year. Like each week you have a new client/new set of tasks/quick payments that motivating you/different people/excitement when you start something new. How hard will be a human recruiter to read all that CVs :slight_smile:

Cool. I like your idea! Remote work makes great talents free to work. Not too enough to work for only one company for them, I think. We can commit multiple projects in the near future.

Ok, looks like a lot of people understand that. And we not touching a surface of different countries/towns has different cost of living/expenses, so having remove workers from your town is saving cash for office and toilet paper(yeah, it’s part of costs as well), but hiring someone from developing country is even cheaper.

People understand that, but still want me to have a call with them(use email) or have a handshake for feeling what person I am(investor from Chicago told me that without “touching” me he cannot give me $monay$)

Cool example is HN. All is remote friendly-right @David?

2 Likes

I have a remote team and one double-edged sword is the 24 hour work cycle. It can be AMAZING to hand off all tasks properly to the next shift, overlap for an hour or so to get them spun up, then go to sleep and wake up to a bunch of stuff shipped and ready to go. However if they get blocked and need something from you, they can lose hours of prime work time.

Communication is most important for this. We do start-of-day and end-of-day standups in our chat, which is super helpful. I can review the overnight team’s tasks at the start of the day versus what they actually got done, and if needed I can pick up where they left off.

3 Likes

It is not always the case. The company I work for does consulting and outsourcing services, lets employees work remotely after the 1st year of being in one of the offices; mainly for cultural onboarding.

I reckon that tech services companies have more room to implement remote work than others.

Update (shameless plug):
The article is now live in HackerNoon :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a bit late to the party – I’ve been so focused on product for the last month or so – but I had to reply. @arthur.tkachenko you are correct (sorry, I’m not David, but I had to reply) – HN is 100% remote! I’ve found I’m extremely productive when I’m remote, but to play devil’s advocate, working in person these past two weeks together was incredible as well. We ended up having a quick product meeting every morning, to decide the most important thing to work on right that minute. Of course, after the 3 day weekend is up we’re going to continue that practice, but my point is: working in-person does have its advantages. That said, I’d never take another job where I had to physically be there, ever again, unless I absolutely had to. Remote work just has so many benefits:

• Cheaper for the company
  • Cheaper for the person doing the work, as they can live anywhere
  • Opportunities to travel often, as you can work from anywhere
  • Fewer distractions
  • Harder to bother someone via Slack, than it is to interrupt someone in person (critically important for software engineers)
  • Forces you to improve your communication skills, something too many developers ignore outright (at their peril)
  • Easier to go to doctor appointments, DMV, or whatever you need to do during the day
  • Lends itself to more flexible schedules

And this is just off the top of my head. What are the other benefits of working remotely?

5 Likes

But!
https://www.indiehackers.com/article/how-remote-work-impacts-your-brain-8664999452

Instead of remote work

1 Like

Great idea! We recently started doing it too with 2.0 launch coming up. Async or video chat, it’s important to communicate everyday when you are remote.

most new tech workers will expect to work remote. Modern AI SAAS tools like MSB.ai Guru allow many differnt engineers to colaborate on a project.

1 Like

some new articles about this topic:

https://angel.co/alpha/stories/the-future-of-work-is-here-so-why-aren-t-more-companies-remote-first-1823

https://angel.co/alpha/stories/human-resources-evolution-the-future-of-workforce-management-1822

I just find this 2 articles: