What kind of service do you usually subscribe?

There are so many useful services out there for the rest of the world and most of them are for free. Lets share software you subscribe.

• AWS
  • Heroku
  • Flaticon
  • G Suite
  • Spotify
  • Freedom
  • T-Mobile
  • Photoshop

Let’s see…this list might scare me into paring down my subscription list, might shock my pocketbook enough that I unsubscribe from half of these, but here goes nothing:

At Hacker Noon:

• Google Cloud
  • Firebase
  • [other top secret services here :male_detective:]

At home:

• Netflix
  • Hulu
  • Spotify
  • Pandora
  • Acorn TV
  • G Suite
  • Dreamhost
  • Linode
  • Namecheap
  • Matomo
  • Sprint
  • AT&T

…I think that’s all of them. Man, I need to cancel some of these…thanks for calling attention to this! :laugh:

4 Likes

Thank you as always @austin
I don’t know some of your lists. So I will try :slight_smile:

Does anyone do those product subscriptions? Like “Hey this is the best toilet paper ever created and we will send it to you monthly in a trendy box.” I think the only one I do is Hungry Harvest, a veggie box of surplus or odd shaped veggies that don’t make it into stores.

1 Like

@shun anytime! :grin: I have to ask, what service does Freedom provide? I’m not familiar with that one but the name is :fire:.

@MikeFarnham I tried Plated, the meal/recipe subscription service, but it was more expensive than going to a restaurant every night. That’s a pretty cool service you mentioned though! Anyone on the team can tell you, I could do with more veggies in my life. :laugh: How does the cost compare to a major grocery chain, or a produce market?

I’d have to compare costs, it’s nice to get lettuce, tomatoes, and potatoes but sometimes parts of it go bad when I don’t feel like using mango/squash/eggplant etc… Yeah one time I did Blue Apron and it was taking me forever to prep and cook the meals.

Ah yeah, I imagine the food going bad would be an issue. I noticed on their website they have different options for different family sizes – would you say the portions are accurate?

The time to prepare was an issue with Plated too. It took an hour, on average, about twice as long as the recipes predicted. Prep time was the biggest part of it. How was the food though? There was only one recipe from Plated that I still make from time to time, which was super disappointing.

We do a standard mini (every other week) and they are pretty generous portions. There are a couple other companies doing the same thing.

The food was good, I think my favorite was a broccoli and cheese calzone.

Nice! That was my other complaint about Plated – the portions were too small. I love the concept of Hungry Harvest, as food waste is a major problem especially in America, as far as I’ve seen. I mean, perfectly good food just gets thrown away…I’m guilty of this myself. Thanks for bringing this service up! I just might have to try it. :slight_smile:

A broccoli and cheese calzone sounds soooo good right now. You’ve got my stomach rumbling. :laugh: My favorite from Plated was a Cuban chicken and rice bowl. You use lime to season the chicken and rice…it’s so damn good.

1 Like

Freedom helps us block the website while working :slight_smile:
https://freedom.to/

1 Like

All these are personal and not Hacker Noon-related:

• Netflix
  • Hulu no ad
  • Youtube premium
  • Amazon Prime
  • iCloud
  • iTunes

Pondering HBO too…