What is the best project you've worked on?

What is the best project you’ve worked on? Either at a hackathon, on the side or at your job!

2 Likes

Just been doing some voluntary work with a really cool blockchain game start-up called Flowerpatch.app. It’s a farming game, with a proper game world, but you farm ‘cannabis’ strains and they become collectibles like cryptokitties on the blockchain (ERC20).

It’s a super cool project and they’ve got so much more functionality coming soon I think. High production value too. I’ve actually just produced an article about then for HN :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey Eliot, just read your article! Very nice concept! How did you come up with this idea? Very cool!

1 Like

Hey, thanks! I didn’t come up with it, I’m just writing some stuff for them because I really like the project :slight_smile: I think they just wanted to build a great farming simulator but give it a twist, cannabis is becoming less taboo to talk about now, and I think games like these will help with education around the subject.

23%20PM

2 Likes

Anyone would think this was the Hackernoon board! :rofl:

One of the best projects I have worked on would be The Lotos Project. Seeing how… ugly :upside_down_face: things were with the list of the most common passwords of each year (https://keepersecurity.com/blog/2017/01/13/most-common-passwords-of-2016-research-study/), my brother and I made an app that teaches you best practices about coming up with a password and was also a memorable, but also random password generator. Here is our app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=test.lotosnav

2 Likes

The guidelines on how to write code for the Erlang Community: https://github.com/inaka/erlang_guidelines and their associated linter, called Elvis: https://github.com/inaka/elvis

1 Like

Still trying to figure out an answer for this one. It’s like choosing a favorite child.

• :white_check_mark: :blush:
  • :x: :frowning_face:

Every project has pros and cons. I think if you exclude Hacker Noon, I find that I generally like writing code the most when the goal isn’t to make money. That’s pretty challenging because almost all projects are somehow tied to a direct or indirect financial incentive.

Not suggesting financial incentives are a bad thing…I just don’t think they necessarily correlate to happiness.

So given that, I think I got more pure pleasure out of writing simple games when I first started learning about programming before it became a career. Ultimately, I think my best projects will be in retirement.

5 Likes

Oh very cool Dane! What kind of games have you made?

The best project I’ve worked on, is one I’m still working on! I’ve been on the project for almost a year now. I’m providing outreach and online marketing input to it and it’s, in my eyes, a revolutionary concept that has its basis in the blockchain technology and it’s shielded by quantum safe security. A Decentralized Service Platform (DeSP) that will service Decentralized Private Network (DPN aka VPN), Decentralized Computing (DezComp as a Cloud), Teleporter (Messaging) among other future deployments.

I wrote an article in the Blog, Marketers are you ready for the next generation – Blockchain 3.0, hope you find it resourceful :slight_smile:

If you’d like to know more about the project, What is Quantum1Net

2 Likes

According to me i started an online e-learning study materials provider website for various competitive exams was one of the best project i had worked on.

In few time i will launch a free e-book containing all topics which are important for the students who are involved in preparation of competitive exams.

1 Like

I started a summer camp in Vietnam for middle school students :slight_smile: 40 kids and around 30 volunteers every year for 7-10 days since 2012 (7 years and counting) It’s still running to this day.
Many of the graduates have gone on to do much bigger and better things than me (running their own companies, leading social movements, being celebrity on Youtube etc…). I’m super duper proud of it.

1 Like