A good idea is useless without the right people to manage it. For a Magento project, you need more than just a group of people who can code. It’s always better to opt for professional service providers with domain knowledge that will ensure successful implementation of ideas in the design and development process.
Use the following criteria to create your own shortlist of companies that you feel are the best fit based on your needs:
1) Reputation. There are a lot of business review sites out there like Foursquare, Clutch, Trustpilot, etc. that put together lists of the top companies in different categories. If the company offers references, we recommend you contact them for more information. That way, you can get a more objective view of the company and ask any pertinent questions.
2) Portfolio. Look for a professional portfolio with information about what they have accomplished and, most importantly, how it was done.
3) Pricing model and rates. Don’t be surprised if you don’t see rates on the company’s website. All projects are different and require deep analysis and a roadmap of when to add resources.
4) Communication and transparency. Work communication is a two-way process, like a dialogue. To understand whether the development company has good communication standards and transparency, contact them. A prompt response loaded with accurate information is a good sign.
5) Certified Magento developers. If you’re deciding whether to shortlist a company, this can be the make-or-break step. A company without certified developers likely isn’t serious about a partnership with Magento.
6) Magento partners. Magento Solution Partners are trusted development agencies and consulting companies that are focused on helping merchants create the best ecommerce websites using Magento.
7) Domain knowledge. It isn’t something you can read in a book or learn from launching a few stores. Magento experts spend years diving into the powerful capabilities of the platform and earn their stripes by finding solutions to challenges along the way.
8) SEO and Data Privacy. A good Magento development company understands the importance of search engine optimization (SEO) and how it affects traffic and conversions. To get a higher rank in Google, you have to develop more than a content strategy.
9) Post-deployment support. Support after deployment is an important, and sometimes overlooked, part of the development process. A professional Magento service provider will include post-deployment support in the budget. At this stage, the company will help you get used to the platform and show you the ins and outs of how to get everything from product categories to shipping set up properly.
So having a strong relationship with the company you’re dealing with is mutually beneficial. Good relationships are born out of shared interests, values, and experiences. In the end, if you value quality and expertise, you should be willing to pay the extra money to hire a company whose goal is to build a long-lasting partnership with you.