What are you currently reading?

What are you currently reading? Are you more of a Sci-Fi type of person or do you read how to books?

2 Likes

Cradle Series by Will Wight.

1 Like

1 Like

5 Likes

I’m in the middle of a handful of books. I like sci-fi, although I haven’t really read any.

These days for me it’s more non-fiction:

Recently finished Sapiens and Homo Deus - by Yuval Harari. Required reading (as far as I’m concerned) for the future thinking individual

Just started The Hundred Year Marathon - China’s Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower by Michael Pillsbury - Pretty fascinating so far

Currently in the midst of:

Being and Time by Martin Heidegger
I and Thou by Martin Buber
Life Against Death: The Psychoanalytical Meaning of History and Love’s Body by Norman Brown
Inferno by Dante Alighieri

Also, I’ve been reading a lot of Hacker Noon articles lately…

1 Like

loved Sapiens. What did you think of Homo Deus? Contemplating 20 lessons for the 21st century next.

0 Likes

I really enjoyed it! Homo Deus was an essential look into the not so distant future. Very insightful of what is potentially on the horizon. Have you read it yet?

I’m definitely planning on reading the 21 Lessons For The 21st Century

0 Likes

I’m on part 4. Great read. Would recommend.

1 Like

Nice that these book come up, I really enjoyed Sapiens. I thought the Homo Deus was only so-so, he kept talking about the history of mankind and making sweeping statements of the future. The be fair, he is an historian so he would obviously be stronger talking about the past rather than the future.

I particularly enjoyed reading Globotics Upheaval, it is one of the first books that talk about the future of white collar jobs - fascinating.

1 Like

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.

0 Likes

0 Likes

This book has lead me to purchase and study a hefty textbook on Claude Shannon’s Information Theory. The goal is to understand the limitations of information theory for modeling general intelligence, since as we all know, computers and its algorithms are built using information theory.

However, the author has led me down some interesting paths I otherwise would not have seen! Kurt Godel’s incompleteness theorem! An interview with Satoshi??? Whaat, George Gilder the author is a wonderful man.

2 Likes

Who are America’s Radical Underground?

0 Likes

In the 70s, it all started with the Black Panthers. Although they weren’t underground exactly, they did inspire the Black Liberation Army, and countless other groups. There was also the Students for a Democratic Society (SDS), which became the Weatherman group (later known as the infamous Weather Underground). That’s all I’ve read so far.

These groups and others were responsible for innumerable bombings throughout the US in the 70s. At one point, there were 5 bombings per day, and according to the author, they were written off as almost routine by the general public, after the initial shock wore off. I’m just getting to the part where the FBI is launching its COINTELPRO program. It’s pretty wild – just from what I’ve read so far, I’d recommend the book.

0 Likes

would you recommend it still? looks so interesting.

0 Likes

Have you read his original papers? A lot of the math went over my head, but they still changed my life, changed what I studied (especially around cryptography). His papers essentially opened the floodgates for the likes of Diffie and Hellman, and the RSA trio. Without Shannon, I highly doubt we would have public key crytpo, cryptocurrency, or even computers as we know them.

For the curious who haven’t read Claude Shannon, I’d highly recommend these two papers:

A Mathematical Theory of Communication
Communication Theory of Secrecy Systems

1 Like

I love this book! It gives such a good overview of the current state of things and compares business models so well.

1 Like

Deep Work by Cal Newport :wink:

0 Likes

I alternate between reading/listening to various science fiction/non-fiction books, currently listening to Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton, although I’m six hours in and still trying to figure out what is going on and whether I like it.

I recently finished reading Age of Ambition by Evan Osnos, which I found to be quite an interesting read.

1 Like

Whoa! Bombings are justifiable in very few cases, mostly in internationally recognized war zones, but probably not in the US! That’s insane. It leads me to believe that some of these groups believed innocent lives being lost was a much lesser cost than taking the lives of their targets, for what ever reason, I would love to hear!

0 Likes