Story comment system

I was wondering, how would HN commenting system work? Because I don’t know about you guys but I find Medium’s approach of the story comments soooo annoying.

Because Medium treats the comment as a story by itself, so I end up having a big comment thread on my “Published Stories” tab, instead of having the comments be related to the story itself.

Example:

2 Likes

Great question! We plan on using the community forum itself as the commenting system. For every story, there will be a related thread on the forum where you can comment and discuss the story. We decided to integrate with Discourse in this way for a few reasons, but the biggest reason is that we truly believe we can build a great community here, in part thanks to story discussion. If you don’t want to see a bunch of comment threads, and would rather browse the Random category or something, we’ll keep story comment threads in their own category so you can read them exclusively or filter them out.

I hope that answers your question! Let me know if you have any more. :grin: @Dane’s been working on it, so he may be able to tell you more as well.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for this.

I send out email newsletters once in a blue moon, and can’t do that for my basic medium profile, since there’s a phat stack of comments mulling around.Glad to see this isn’t being adopted as a normy thing, it’s quite frustrating.

Y’all are the best, for realz.

3 Likes