Solutions to Remote Work Challenges for First-Time Free-Range Humans

Solutions to Remote Work Challenges for First-Time Free-Range Humans

Irrespective of how common remote working has become (as of 2019, 66% of companies allow remote work and 16% of them are fully remote), some managers are still hesitant to give it a try.

@adamfard, thanks for a good summary of the key challenges of remote working, and easily implementable solutions for employers trying it for the first time. I’m coming up on my two-year remoteversary (totally a thing); and I had to smile when I read:

One major benefit of employing a remote workforce is that there are fewer absentees. It is comparatively easier for your employee who is suffering from a cold to show up on video conferences rather than go to the office. A recent study found that 75% of remote workers will continue working even in the event of weather-related disasters, flu, and terrorism, of which only 28% of on-site workers were willing to do.

Is this still a ‘benefit’ when considered from the employees’s perspective? Asking because I know I’ve at times definitely struggled more to “switch off” (read: relax) since working from wherever. I’d be interested in solutions to that particular challenge, for those on the other side of the remote working equation.