Should we label stories as Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced?

We constantly need to be thinking about how we can pair readers with the perfect Hacker Noon stories. One thing to note is everyone has a diversified skill set. I might be highly skilled in Javascript but know very little about the interworkings of the IOTA tangle. So as a reader, it might be helpful to be able to easily filter content by skill level. I might want to focus my reading on Advanced Javascript and Basic IOTA stories.

1. How do we feel about labeling the skill level of a story?
  2. Is there a better solution to this problem?
7 Likes

This is a great idea! There could also be like a specific track of stories, or sort of filter. Like for instance, I f I want to read or learn about Javascript, select JS track ranging from basic to advanced.

Another thought, maybe Hackernoon could run a poll or onboarding upon sign-up to figure out the skill level of the user and show stories based on that.

3 Likes

Please don’t do this. It doesn’t feel right.
One of the best things about Hacker Noon is the mix of stories, ideas and tutorials served altogether. That’s what makes Hacker Noon different. Labelling the articles doesn’t feel right. Let’s just leave that to the authors ?

0 Likes

I agree that this would feel wrong if editors label content. It would be very frustrating if you put in a ton of effort on what you think is an intermediate to advanced story and it gets labeled as an intro.

So to me I think this makes a lot more sense an an optional configuration available to the author. Not a judgement call by the editor.

If it is an author config, would you still be against it?

4 Likes

Your solution seems perfect !

0 Likes

hey would this apply to all posts or just tutorials? how could/should tutorials differ from other posts? relates to this post by @joe

I think the context provided around expertise level will really frame the title better for the reader. We could play with the language for the 3 levels a bit more. Maybe “Intro, Intermediate & Advanced”? Or “Intro, Tech Professional & Advanced Hacker”? Or “Basic, Professional & Expert”? Like a ski slope, the colors could be green, blue and black.

1 Like

Part of me thinks it should just apply to tutorials. But other stories might be covering basic or advanced concepts and the labeling could still be useful. I do like the idea of story types having specialized fields though.

2 Likes

I agree with Ramit, but this also slows growth because there’s just to much to keep up with and flip through publications.
May I offer a Compromised suggestion?

Maybe separate different categories of reading levels & topics.

Ie:

• Advanced and highly educated wanting “more”

• College/ high school articles &

• Beginner category articles

I hope that’s a decent compromise, I hope everyone will consider.
I’d also like to add, TY for asking opinions, seems like Hacker Noon is appreciative of its writers and yours always supporting us. One reason I’ll never dislike HN. :heart:
Thank you!

4 Likes

I really like the idea. As an industry veteran, I get frustrated that it’s hard to tell before clicking into an article whether it’s going to be advanced or not.

Have you been doing research with readers to get a sense of if they have a problem with this? I have no idea if I’m standard, target market, or an outlier.

0 Likes