Share Your Project Painpoints’, Ask Me Anything with Ryan Dawson

I guess you’ve looked at the next scheduled session of Tech Ethics London. I’m an organizer of the meetup and the format is that somebody presents on a topic and then opens the session up for discussion. The next session (‘AI Ethics - Whose Ethics? An Analysis Across Eastern & Western Philosophy’) is being led by Alejandro Saucedo so you’ll be best to attend the session and we can both learn from Alejandro and the others in the session.

I enjoyed ‘Go Programming Blueprints’ by Mat Ryer. It walks you through building Go projects with a good balance between being simple enough to understand and real enough to see how you’d use what you learn. I also liked ‘The Go Programming Language’ by Donovan and Kernighan. That one is a bit more conceptual and academic. I found the two books complement each other quite well.

I like books as a way to get a feeling for a software tool that I’m starting to learn. I find it easier to make to time to read a book outside of my day job than to do a MOOC. But if you’re looking for something more hands-on then don’t let me put you off doing a MOOC.

It’s also worth trying out the official interactive tour of Go and looking at what other resources are out there to see what suits you best.

Personally the thing that I’d most like to change is the proliferation of overlapping tools and standards.

(Image from xkcd.)

It’s great that open source makes it easy to experiment and put new things out there. But that also makes it easy to put things out there that are very similar to other things that are already out there. This leads to lots of confusion. Unfortunately I can’t think of any practical way to change this.