I’ve taken our current story editor and plugged it into a Codesandbox project so everyone can see some of the progress we’re making and start giving feedback and ideas for improvements. Before you dive in, here are a few notes:
- This is and always will be a work in progress. We’ve still got a lot of iterating to do before launch.
- Stories don’t save in this demo so please don’t write a novel for 2.0 expecting it to save.
- The editor isn’t currently mobile friendly. You’ll need a browser that’s at least 1000px wide so things don’t get smashed.
- I removed the image uploading functionality because we’re limited in our trial version of Filestack. In this version if you try to insert an image, it plugs in a random image.
- Adding a code block isn’t complete. It just plugs in a random chunk of JS.
- The modal for the link adding/editing functionality isn’t in yet so it’s a basic browser dialog.
- We’re using SlateJS to power the editor in case you’re curious.
Enough disclaimers! Check out the Hacker Noon story editor v0.1 and let us know what you think.