No thanks, Mr.Bezos?

A few weeks ago was announced a BlueMoon project/lander.
When the first announcement was made(Actually the whole presentation has content from Bezos interview to BusinessInsider 5 month ago) I saw a lot of articles about it.
Again, after the presentation, a lot of people from our local astro-community became very excited about it. Me too. They compare this presentation with first presentations from Elon Musk/SpaceX. But I have a different angle of view. I assume I’m more aware of what is going on in the US(i’m not insider, living in Europe) . So it’s my own opinion.
I mean, that a lot of people in the US thinks of Bezos/Amazon like about “evil” corporation. Like Facebook or Google.

Tell me what do you think?

2 Likes
2 Likes

@arthur.tkachenko on a more serious note, I’m wary of any one concentration of power. I’m wary of people who want control over other people. I’m wary of those who say “I know what’s best for you”. Bezos is just another in a long line of the American corporatocracy’s dictators, going back to Vanderbilt, Carnegie, Morgan, Rockefeller…

You know, when Eisenhower warned us of the military-industrial complex, he originally wanted to call it the “military-industrial-corporate complex” but was warned against it by his advisors. I wonder whose pocket they were in.

1 Like

Fresh example:
https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/video/amazon-employee-asks-ceo-jeff-bezos-to-take-action-on-climate-change/vp-AABS0QZ

Oops: https://angel.co/alpha/stories/amazon-is-working-on-a-device-that-can-read-human-emotions-1436

Jeez…yeah, wearing a device that can read human emotions…as one does, you know, since you can’t read human emotions by any other method. :roll_eyes:

I mean, the tech is cool-sounding, but also potentially harmful, prone to abuse, and incredibly discriminatory. I honestly don’t think it’s worth it.

park

1 Like

SP video reminds me about this conversation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNPyVVLNVyc

another thread about Big A

1 Like

I’ll say it louder for the people in the back: facial recognition technology as it exists today is highly discriminatory. (Source here.)

Are we really willing to give facial recognition technology the same place as DNA testing in our courts? Are we willing to let this blind technology determine who is and isn’t a threat? A 35% error rate is not acceptable for a production-grade facial recognition system. Full stop.

2 Likes

similar to importing chips inside of employees.

But! it’s the same discussion about using or not atomic energy. Bad things it’s a bomb, good thing - cheap and more clean energy(yeah, yeah, but security right now it’s better than 30 years ago). Note: France have more cheap and clean nuclear energy than Germany for example. They moving to solar/wind, but prices go up each year.

another take here - streets with ip-cameras are more secure. Maybe face recognition will help to put more people in jail and increase spending money on “hidding” people there…Again, China with their social credit show that i can be a bad thing.

True, it’s a fine line. I don’t think putting more people in jail is necessarily a good thing, especially if the error rate is 35%. Imagine you were being arrested, and the cops said, “we’re 65% sure you did this, so you’re guilty”…what? What kind of justice is that?

People of color (in America, at least) are already disproportionately affected by bad laws and bad cops (see: all of the shootings of young black men who were unarmed). Are we going to compound that problem with bad tech? In one case, a cop actually fired a taser at a 15 year old kid in Detroit because he was riding an ATV illegally on the street. He was going over 30 mph. He was killed. His name was Damon Grimes. In another case, in Rochester, Michigan, not 1 hour from where I live, a 14 year old black kid knocked on a door asking for directions to his new school. The woman who lived there started screaming, saying “why did they pick our house?”, and her husband went onto the front lawn and fired his shotgun at the kid. For asking fucking directions. Thankfully, the child was not harmed in this case.

I’ve had enough bad experiences with the cops (because of my cousin, and the bad name he gave our family), that I don’t trust them one tiny little bit. That’s a topic for another thread, but in the end, I simply don’t trust the justice system to do what’s in our best interest. Prosecutors, police, and everyone else involved in the process have an incentive to put away as many people as possible (not to mention the privatized prisons…). This is turning into a rant, but:

tl;dr I don’t trust the justice system to do the right thing here. We simply can’t have a system where we’re 65% sure that someone is the culprit – we can’t trust that system in the same way we trust fingerprints or DNA tests.

@austin will reply to your prev message later.

just want to share another new story: https://www.businessinsider.com/amazons-new-patent-shows-how-much-creepier-alexa-can-get-2019-5

They just popup at my feed

1 Like

Jesus tapdancing Christ dude. What are you, trying to get me to move to a cabin in the woods and whittle wooden squirrels for the rest of my life? :eyes:

I figured they were already doing this, but the fact they can do it so brazenly, so openly, without so much as a “hey!” from consumers is highly alarming.

More than that, the number of technologists who can justify this with the “cool factor” is just as alarming, if not more. The people designing these systems often have zero understanding of (or just don’t care about) the security implications and potential abuses that can be carried out with this technology.

You were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you didn’t stop to think if you should.

For me it’s similar like designers creating apps so people can slacking in phones for years.

And I shouldn’t watch this before going sleep

I actually was living about 14 months(2 month ago) at small town where noone knows me, only landlord and guy that fix my display. So maybe it’s a good idea. If Elon will be able to beam internet to wasteland - it’ll be pretty similar workflow for developers

Questionable! More and more there will be a tendency for powerful people/companies to “rule” the world. There is no going back with the existing and future technology turning us into stupid or super smart but fake human beings

Betty, I think if we’ll take a look back to the history… We’ll see a similar things. How tech companies don’t equal to steel, or pertol companies, or kings or Church…

@austin, I think you should check some websites that sell cabins…

1 Like

@arthur.tkachenko I’m actually quite alright with computer-generated music. :grin: That’s a wonderful use of computing resources, and it should be encouraged. I worked with someone who refused to acknowledge the possibility of computers generating music that was indistinguishable from human-made music (someone who I still respect and admire). His argument was: “what will the computer lament?”. My argument was “whatever we teach it to”. I’m not quite giving it up and moving to the woods, not just yet. :wink:

1 Like