[NEW] Hacker Noon 2.0: Migration-related questions

tl,dr: please read this before posting questions about migration!

Heyo! I locked the other scattered threads about migration issues. Please centralize your questions/concerns about migration within this thread only. That way, we will be able to expedite your concerns better.

We are still going through a lot of migration fixes for y’all. If for any reason you don’t see your stories/your handles populating properly, can’t log in, can’t associate your accounts, can’t edit stories - please keep in mind that the migration is still going on! I’m gonna drop below a bunch of help links for you here. Please check them out thoroughly. We are prioritizing requests that are going through the proper channels mentioned below, this thread, or via support@hackernoon.com.

Thank you for your understanding as we are still trying our hardest to help.

2 Likes

Just want to confirm that oEmbed is not supported in 2.0? If we want to link to a podcast (it’s available on itunes, google, spotify, soundcloud, and more) what would be the suggested way? We can just do links but an embedded player would be ideal.

1 Like

I believe we do have beautiful Youtube embed :slight_smile:

I’ll give this some thought. We don’t have video, but it could be a near term option. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks Jon. Embedding all players is ideal, and absolutely on our list to build.

Right on. I’m choosing to think of this as an opportunity. There are some side benefits we can achieve by throwing together a quick video and putting it on youtube. So we’ll go that route.

1 Like

Hi,

I have some problems with my article coming from HackerNoon 1.0 which I couldn’t find proper channels:

• It seems not being synced and it’s an older version
  • All the photos are missing
  • The code style is not readable

https://hackernoon.com/mueller-report-for-nerds-spark-meets-nlp-with-tensorflow-and-bert-part-1-32490a8f8f12

Original: https://medium.com/hackernoon/mueller-report-for-nerds-spark-meets-nlp-with-tensorflow-and-bert-part-1-32490a8f8f12

Many thanks,
Maziyar

1 Like

No worries, Maziyar. Here’s your editable draft link: https://app.hackernoon.com/drafts/mueller-report-for-nerds-spark-meets-nlp-with-tensorflow-and-bert-part-1-32490a8f8f12

Please remember to:

• Include “This is a 1.0 story that I edited” at the beginning of the article, so we can expedite the process.
  • Reply to this email to request any other stories you’d like to edit.

Best practices - please remember to:

Let me know how else can I help.

Best,

1 Like

The Issue has been resolved by @Hackerhodl and his help! Thank you both :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have some hard time migrating my stories from HN 1 to HN 2, I’m already in touch with the team but I think this might help some people.

So the migration has taken place since 3 months or so and nothing is still really clear. I had to fill in a lot of forms to get my stories back to life from Medium or fix them and there are still some small issues remaining (I think the team is already working on it). These stories appear in my archives view but not in my story list so I don’t have any stats, I have no idea if it is normal. Two of my articles had something like 150K cumulated views on Medium, some urge me to use them on their publication, the metered paywall is also an option. I’d like the openness of HK, I don’t want to earn money from my articles but simply let the most possible number of users access my articles. Now I don’t really know if it was worth migrating to HN 2.0 for this purpose. Do I need to rewrite these stories as new stories to let them appear in a better shape under HN 2.0 ? If so I would not be really happy because it already took me a lot of work to publish them and it seems to me that HN is also what it is now thanks to writers so that “backward compatibility” for previous writers should be his main focus.

Regards.

1 Like

Hi @luc.claustres

First, I want to apologize for all the inconvenience you are experiencing. Migrating is hard, but Hacker Noon is trying to become better each day, please be patient with us.

The stats for 1.0 stories are in pipeline for sure. Traffic has gone up since migration, as we’ve eliminated paywalls, popups, and slow page-load time. Rest assure your stories still get all the eyeballs they deserve, and we’re super excited for our upcoming stat page!

If you need help re-formating your 1.0 stories (code snippets, wording, images, tags, etc.) to let them appear in a better shape, I would love to be your guy. You don’t have to create a whole new draft, I will edit content off your old stories which will keep all the SEOs and stats in the past. You can send over the URLs to kien@hackernoon.com (or support@hackernoon.com) and we will take care of them.

Hope this helps, let me know if I can help further.

Best,

Kien

OK so if it’s normal that my old stories only appear in archived ones I will wait until archived stories stats feature is alive to see what is going on. I will try to detail the strange things that are still to be fixed.

First, this one is still point to Medium, I guess it has not been correctly migrated yet. Moreover it appears in my archived list as well as in my published story list (while all others only appear in my archived list).

Then if I look at this story on HN it seems almost OK, however if I open it from my list of archived story I get a blank page on this link. A similar thing happen to this one and this one. For all these stories the featured image has been dropped as well in the preview.

I would also be able to edit my past stories.

Thanks.