[My Learnings] From Writing My First Line of Code to a $226K Job Offer in 8 Months

[My Learnings] From Writing My First Line of Code to a $226K Job Offer in 8 Months

I got offers from Google, Lyft, Yelp, cloud unicorn Rubrik, IBM Artificial Intelligence, and JP Morgan Chase. My story may help you in your job search

1 Like

Awesome story. I’m from a non-traditional (Accounting) background as well, and I decided this Summer that knowing computer programming might not be a bad skill to have. I have really, really enjoyed the learning so far and have pieced together an e-commerce website from scratch for a friend. I’ve been mostly going through Udemy and FreeCodeCamp courses, but it seems like a bootcamp might be worth considering just for the networking and job search guidance alone.

1 Like

Excellent job! No pun intended.

Well written, nicely laid out and helpfully transparent. You sound like an excellent learner, likely beyond the norm. However, your ability to commit, sacrifice for the commitment, remain flexible in your planning, and be open to going the extra mile down many paths, is something anyone can do regardless of our natural abilities for absorbing new information or our endurance for applying it.

You definitely have the super power of diligence.

Thank you for the write up!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words. It’d be a treat if my story meaningfully supports anyone embarking on a related learning journey.

Jason,

Thanks for sharing your story, and congratulations on getting such a great job. I think it’s pretty cool that you will donating part of your income to various causes.
I’d be interested to hear the story of how you came to be an hour-per-day meditator.

I did about six months off-and-on at two, 20 min, mantra-based sessions per day after reading about benefits high performers like Ray Dalio found with similar schedules. Between jobs I went on a 10-day silent retreat (vipassana) and decided to experiment with an hour/day in the morning afterwards. After a few months it became clear it was developing like a skill with practice, and the results were exhilarating. A few months later I was seeing marked changes in my wellbeing, including the amount of time during an average week (even during the low of the job search) I identified as happy/grateful/joyous. Even saw movement on personality measures. A year plus into my habit, I’ve never been happier - in many ways this personal journey was more significant than learning to code.