Leaving Linux for Mac After 15 Years

Leaving Linux for Mac After 15 Years

I’m sorry Linux. It’s not me, it’s you. The “year of the Linux desktop” never came to fruition. It was always next year, year after, some year. Now, it’s almost a running joke.

I’ve gone the opposite. My latest desktop I’ve jumped over to Linux. Though I did have to drop to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for my 5700 XT, I am using a usb audio adapter and wired Ethernet.

Each release of Mac has felt increasingly hostile to developers and pro users. And while recent Linux on brand new hardware hasn’t been without issue, I’m sticking with it over Mac.

Between work and home use, I do use Mac, Windows and Linux regularly. And while most of my Linux use has been terminal based the past few years, I’ll take it over a lot of frustrations I get with Mac and Windows.

I am since the early 90s on linux. Initially only a lower percentage like 10% and Windows the other 90%. Over the years I gradually reduced Windows and increased Linux to now 5% Windows (Games) and 95% Linux. My family (wife and two children) use Mac, but whenever I have to touch these devices it gives me the creeps! mostly the non-standard keyboard annoys me to a degree I cannot tell. Why would you do everything different just to be different? Why not just use a standard keyboard. I even cannot work remotely from Linux (or Windows) on a MacBook, because the keyboard translation does not work. In the Mac world you’re living in a closed box. I cannot stand that.

Having said that: with Linux you sometimes need to be mindful with the hardware you’re buying. One option is to buy slightly older hardware (it’s even cheaper). The other option is to do a bit of research upfront to make sure your hardware will be supported.

Claims to like open source, uses apple products anyways

I use a linux desktop after using a macbook pro for years - here’s what I like about it:

  • less than half the cost of mac with better stats
  • keyboard that works - $4k broken keyboards shouldn’t happen but are very commonplace with mac
  • I can upgrade components in it
  • everything I write runs on linux at the end of the day anyway

I am using Linux and very satisfied.i prefer Linux over windows though i haven’t used mac.

I’m seriously considering leaving Apple Mac (maybe iPhone) as their service organization is to rigid. I totally understand that they cannot be ALL flexible but at least a bit. I’m on Macbook Pro 2015 since three years just about now and have had almost to no problems, until last summer. Then I noticed that the computer wasn’t standing flat on the table, it was rolling on it’s belly. This is due to swollen battery pack and one do want to replace it. Only thing is that the only way to get it done is to leave the computer at an authorized dealer and then wait for at least 3-4 days before it would be ready, in my profession that is 10% of a moths income, as I would have a hard time getting work done without it.
So I decided to buy a third party battery which by the way only costs $130 compared to the original for $490!! It all went well swapping the battery, until yesterday when the computer suddenly didn’t start, it rebooted with no message half way through the boot process. So I went to the store, after some initial troubleshooting (no recovery mode worked), perhaps they new or could help with a quick fix (system repair or something). They could, but not today, probably tomorrow for a small troubleshooting fee of $60. I said I would be back with it following day and try some more on my own first (already lost one day). A few hours later (tinkering in runlevel 1) trying to find any warnings or clues. Tried starting it without the battery, to my surprise it booted, but only to the same point as before. Called in to the shop to ask if they had a new SSD as I figured that it must be system that is broke and then probably the SSD breaking, they did, but not fore sale over the counter only as a service job where they do the work.

Then I thought what if it is the new batteri that has broken, causing the system to refuse as all checks don’t make it through? Fetched my old (original battery, in the garage), fired it up, and YES!
So the new cheap battery died and a new Apple battery costs $460, almost 20% of the new computer price! My particular Mac is not covered by Appels battery replacement program, just a select series of the that might start burning.

My current thought is to buy a Dell XPS 15" and install Mint on it (or Ubuntu as it is an optional OS from Dell), then migrate to it slowly and then let my Mac sit until Apple offers battery replacements for it, I mean they are bound to catch fire sooner or later. It is rolling on it’s belly!!