Learning Programming

What’s Up!
I’m new to Hackernoon and to programming in general.

I’m looking for ways to learn programming languages or really just anything about programming.
I basically know nothing, so any helpful links or tips are appreciated!!

Thank you,
Hannah :grin:

2 Likes

Hey again Hannah! :grin:

So I think the best language on earth for beginning programmers is easily Python. I actually managed to hack the sound waves from my guitar using Python when I was in high school, I made dynamic websites, I hacked a few game demos…the sky’s the limit. And Python’s one of the fastest-growing languages out there, thanks to its popularity among the folks in the machine learning community.

MIT actually switched to Python for its legendary introductory programming course, Computer Science 6.0001. (Disclaimer: I haven’t tried the course I linked, but I’ve heard nothing but great things. And it’s freaking MIT! For free!)

Aside from the MIT course, there are quite a few excellent resources for learning Python, my personal favorite being Learn Python the Hard Way (despite the title, it’s pretty easy :grin: I have tried this one, and it’s great).

I love Python because, for me, it provided a super simple way to understand programming and do things that actually mattered (unlike some of the other so-called “scripting” languages out there).

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, or if Python’s not your cup of tea, please let me know and I’ll be happy to point you to another language that suits you. Your first programming language is something special, and it should fit you like a glove. Javascript is always a popular choice, and for good reason, being the language of the web, but I’m not sure it’s the best language for beginners. That said, if you insist, I’d be more than happy to point you towards some solid resources there.

In any case, happy hacking! Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help!

4 Likes

You can join my team as non-paid intern and i’ll teach you things in a hard but real-world way :slight_smile:

Hi @hannahmencer ! Nice to meet you on HN :slight_smile:
I recommend you to make something you want. It’s the easiest way to learn and improve programming. If you want to build a web application like Airbnb, you’ll start learning web programming. If you want to build an app like Uber, you’ll start learning native programming.

It depends on what you want to make. And thinking about how to make it is so important to improve your programming skill :wink:

1 Like

Thank you! I will definitely check those out!!