Jina.AI: An easier way to build neural search in the cloud

Hey all. I’m Alex, the Open Source Evangelist at Jina. We’re a startup that began in April and we’re based in Berlin and Beijing with a few remote team members too.

We’re building a cloud-native neural search framework, powered by AI. Any developer can get started with just one terminal command, and we have a bunch of tutorials for stuff like text search of South Park scripts, image search of Pokemon, etc. Think of it like an alternative to Elastic or Apache Solr.

Right now I’m looking at ways to get more stars for our repo and build our GitHub presence. Would love any feedback you have to give me :slight_smile:

BTW, one of the avenues I’m looking at is articles on Medium and Hackernoon. I just pushed my article draft on what 80s cartoons can teach us about open source.

Many thanks,
Alex

1 Like

Hey @alexcg, thanks for publishing with Hacker Noon. @arthur.tkachenko was recently talking up your story in editorial meeting.

Neural search frameworks are definitely going to become much more popular this decade. That term is also going to evolve. I like how you are showcasing the value via cartoons - makes for good Hacker Noon stories. But you may want to experiment with some more serious use cases to attract some more serious developers (academia, biotech, etc.). To show off the power of it, I would consider making more of your own live instances, something like a comprehensive search for all known diseases from multiple sources.

• How many developers are using it?
  • What’s the business model?
  • How will search engine technology and usage change over time?
  • Considering any publishing use cases? Possibly to identification of plagiarism?
3 Likes

Hey David,

Thanks for the feedback! As for more serious use cases its certainly something we’re looking into (many of our examples use existing datasets like South Park lines or Pokemon sprites at the moment). I think we’ll need more manpower first though - we’re still a very small team

• How many developers are using it?

Not many at present. We’re still in developer acquisition mode

• What’s the business model?

Short-run: Focus on building developer base
Long run: Enterprise edition, Jina Hub as an “app store” for search models

• How will search engine technology and usage change over time?

Good question. This is one for our CEO. I’m just a grunt :wink:

• Considering any publishing use cases? Possibly to identification of plagiarism?

This would be really helpful. I’ll speak to our team about it

1 Like

Regarding articles I’ve published on Hackernoon, I emailed you a few days ago but one having an off-kilter title. Could you email me back about that asap please?

It’d also be good to keep in touch over email so I can discuss future story ideas. I want to see if there’s a limit on how snarky I can be in my more informal stuff :wink:

1 Like