I am Erik Zhang (@neoerikzhang), founder and core developer of NEO. Ask me anything! July 7/02/2019 @7:30 PM PST

Hi Eric, thanks for all the amazing work you’re doing on the NEO platform. My question is related to data integrity for Smart Contracts on the NEO 3.0 blockchain. I saw a new feature is coming (Internet Resource Access) which interested me greatly as it seems to be an Oracle inbuilt into the NEO protocol, but there weren’t many details on it.
1 - Say a smart Contract uses this new functionality to call an outside web API, will each consensus node call the API? Are there extra gas cost implications due to this? Or will the cost be per request?

2 - Say I want to call 3 different APIs to get an aggregated price of NEO/USD for my Smart Contract, would I need to manually do the 3 different calls in my Smart Contract, and aggregate the result? Once again, does the gas cost then triple to do this?

3 - Are there any future plans for NEO to make use of decentralized Oracle networks in conjunction with its own in built Oracle to ensure risk mitigation in regards to outside data integrity for Smart Contracts in NEO 3.0?

4 Likes

Hi @erikzhang,

Thank you for doing this.

With NEO3, you’re looking to target large scale commercial use. Why should a big corporation, like, say Microsoft, use NEO instead of Hyperledger?

1 Like

1st off let me say i am a big supporter of your work and i dont think enough people give you the recognition you deserve for dBFT but its amazing.

What are the plans for gas in neo3?

Also where would i go to get techinal info on your new dBFT 2.0 thats a reliable source. Im not a programmer but i was thinking of making a video on how important consensus is to a blockchain and how important finality is to a blockchain but something the everyday joe would be able to understand. Neo is all about… do first and then we might let you in the club…well i want in and i think this is my best chance.

Thanks and super excited for next couple years to see what you come up with.

Peace,

irishgodking

3 Likes

Hi Erik,

Good Evening. I am a masters student studying CS and have taken a blockchain course. I am very interested in working in the field of Blockchain.
So I wanted to ask, As a graduate student, how should one build portfolio to work NEO.

Thanks

2 Likes

When moon???

2 Likes

Hey Erik, great to hear from you. I have a few thoughts that I’d appreciate some input on:

• How many active consensus nodes do you expect the NEO3 network will be able to support before we start noticing scaling limitations (I figure there has to be a sweet spot for balancing node distribution and performance)? Are there any techniques you are interested in that we can use to further increase the number of nodes without affecting throughput, like sharding or selecting groups for consensus (e.g by using VRF like in Algorand)?

• dBFT is designed to ensure safety, but at the potential cost of some liveness (due to view changes). What kind of research looks the most promising for minimizing/removing view changes? Can we expect to see this kind of update in a future dBFT version, or would it be better to explore new consensus mechanisms?

• Do you have any thoughts on a mechanism for NEO that removes the need for end users to deal with private keys, or is this the kind of thing that only zero knowledge custodial services can solve? It seems to be a significant barrier to blockchain adoption as most people do not intuitively understand keypairs, it would be very powerful for NEO to clear this hurdle first, especially if the solution is on the protocol level.

• Do you think there would be a benefit to the development of a domain-specific language for writing NEO contracts that mirrors the functionality provided by available NeoVM opcodes? I’m thinking that it would use very simple language and syntax, designed to onboard potential blockchain entrepreneurs without any prior programming experience. Could be as simple as Scratch to tell NeoVM what you need it to do.

Thanks for your time, keep up the excellent work! I want a lightsaber duel one day :wink:

Is NEO named after THE NEO ??

giphy

What was the largest bug bounty you’ve ever paid?

A long long time ago Neo was all the rage and rocketed in price and was supposed to be a competitor to Ethereum.

Today the price is hovering around 17 bucks and change and no one really seems to care about it.

What happened and how do you expect to compete in such an over crowded alt market?

Which exchanges would you suggest for security? Which ones to avoid? How to tell a good one from a bad one?

Hi Erik,

Thank you so much for doing this AMA!

How would you say is the difference in terms of Chinese market in terms of open source project ?

Hi Erik,

What are for your the main differences between marketing to a Chinese market and a western market?
Thank you so much for your time!

Hi Erik,
What motivated you to start NEO? Did you think it would take off?

Looking forward to see your reply!!

Hey, important question here: How would you compare the Star Wars universe to the cryptocurrency market?

Hi Erik,

If you had to tell which projects are your favorite NEO projects, which ones would they be and why?

Hello Erik,

As a founder, you have to deal with many things and usually your coding time get sucked and you have to deal with admin.

How did you deal with this?

Thank you,
K

Good evening Erik,

Who are your mentors in the security industry?

Thank you so much

Ian

Good evening Erik,
How did you guys grow such a massive community? Did any specific action had a massive impact ? Big respect :open_mouth: and thank you so much for answering our questions.

謝謝

Good evening Erik,

I know China is pretty tough in terms of regulations and bans everything related to crypto though the biggest OTC market are out there.

How did you approach this problem?

Hi Erik,
Do you play any video game? What is your favorite blockchain game? thanks and keep up the good work.

Best