How much more valuable does React make Facebook?

react is now the developer’s most popular frontend tool.

but what does that mean for a behemoth like facebook?

the bottomline is businesses pushing their own languages forward are playing the long game.

3 Likes

As a developer, I can tell you it makes updating and changing the site faster and much more productive. Imagine how difficult it must be to add a feature to a gigantic app like Facebook. Now imagine that difficulty, times 100. That’s what the situation was before they created React, as I understand it.

As for businesses pushing their own languages and tools, I absolutely agree, they’re playing the long game. And they’re winning so far! Look at what Mozilla has done with Rust – Firefox is so much faster now, it’s unreal. Or Microsoft, with TypeScript – they’re killing it right now, in terms of developer popularity, usability, documentation…I’m hoping to see this trend continue and grow.

2 Likes

React has a great reputation and is very easy to build on. We develop everything native to optimize performance. If we were going to use a framework, we would use react.

1 Like

100% this. Those two attributes together have driven adoption through the roof.

Not to side-track the conversation, but I think it’s relevant: how does Vue stack up? Can it compete on reputation and ease-of-use? I know from personal experience it can compete on the latter, if it can build up its ecosystem of modules and tools, but I don’t know how its reputation stands outside of frontend dev circles, and it would be useful to have that insight.

0 Likes

One thing to take into consideration when choosing a framework. I went through this in 206-2007. We learned the hard way by choosing a framework that fell to the wayside. The library of tools stopped updating etc. We ended up recoding everything native but this is something to think about. React will probably continue support for a very long time.

0 Likes

Very true. I always consider maintenance when choosing a library, whether it’s a major framework or a little one-off tool. Then there’s quality of documentation, which is a whole other can of worms…open source is hard. I’m glad bigger companies are investing more in open source, raising the bar – I just hope their strategy isn’t “embrace, extend, extinguish”.

2 Likes

Yesterday I find this article: https://angel.co/blog/want-to-recruit-better-engineers-open-source-your-code

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I saw that one here too https://hackernoon.com/want-to-recruit-better-engineers-open-source-your-code-e36073be0f43 :slight_smile:

On the subject though, looking under the hood certainly makes them appreciate the engine more - if it’s a quality car.

I admire how AngelList’s related businesses serve each other. ProductHunt creates a path to raise money on AngelList. Raising money on AngelList creates a path to hiring people from AngelList. Hiring people from AngelList creates a path to launching new products/features on ProductHunt. Their 2018 review tells a quality story about how a company reached “over $1B assets under management” (and other remarkable growth metrics with great design and just maybe I could make a story of hacker noon page this cool someday). But I do wonder, what pages were actually the most essential to this site’s meteoric rise? My gut comes back to the profile page and the company page. Who is the person building or funding? And what is the company of interest? I think, there is more to each story…

(business thought over, shameless plug ahead)

…founders, makers, investors and companies can publish more of their stories on Hackernoon.

1 Like