Help regarding my Open Source project :-)

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

as I already wrote in the “Please Introduce Yourself” thread, I’m Johannes and I’m working on a temporal NoSQL document storage system (Open Source) called Sirix.io written in Java (and a module in Kotlin) in my spare time and in my day to day job I’m also working as a software engineer. Sounds a bit crazy but yeah, lately I’m too enthusiastic, even though I still have no idea if anyone is using it, sadly.

So my question is, how would you spread the word? Or maybe for most people it’s really not interesting? There are many use cases, for instance for auditing, correcting human- and application errors, experiment and revert to a known good version, doing sophisticated time-travel queries, compare revisions… now with an extension to XQuery (for JSON) :slight_smile:

One Hackernoon article submitted for review a few hours ago:

A bit more about my project: Sirix.io is all about efficient versioning of your data. That is on the one hand it reduces the storage cost of storing a new revision during each transaction-commit while balancing read- and write-performance through a novel sliding snapshot algorithm and dynamic page compression. On the other hand Sirix supports easy query capabilities for instance to open a specific revision by a timestamp or revisions by a given timespan, to navigate to future or past versions of nodes in the tree-structure and so on. It basically never overwrites data and is heavily inspired by ZFS and Git and borrows some ideas and puts these to test on the sub-file level. In stark contrast to other approaches Sirix combines copy-on-write semantics with node-level versioning.

It all started around 2006 as a university / Ph.D. project of Marc Kramis and I worked on the project since 2007 and already did my Bachelor’s Thesis, Master’s Thesis as well as several HiWi-Jobs on topics regarding the project and I’m still more eager than ever to put forth the idea of a versioned, analytics plattform to perform analytical tasks based on current as well as the history of the data.

Have a great day :slight_smile:
Johannes

3 Likes

Post about your project on relevant subreddits and utilize social media for raising awareness. You could also try submitting your project details and a write-up to popular websites that would typically feature this type of content.

1 Like

Thanks… hm, yeah the only subreddit so far I mentioned it was opensource I think. What do you think with social media? Hm, sadly I have only 13 followers on Twitter as of now and on facebook I mostly have non computer science friends. That said, I’m not sure, have heard that quiet a lot of Lindy Hoppers are Software Engineers or computer science geeks in general :smiley:

For Java I know DZone for instance. I copied my last article over there :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I think finding relevant sites is not so easy… maybe it’s easier for Javascript stuff!?

Basically it’s written in Java and parts in Kotlin and on the official Kotlin Forum I think most people just look for interesting questions or just their thread for answers :slight_smile:

0 Likes

1. I think you actually at one of the best(my opinion) places to promote it.
    I mean HackerNoon is a serious magazine/community/lifestyle - so write 5-10-20 articles, where you’re explaining how and why to use your project.

2. ProductHunt is a second place where you should be. Especially with free and OSS tools.

3. AngelList - because it rocks.

4. Your github project should be community friendly + there tons of awesome-* lists with a lot of differentiations. try to be listed on some of them

5. Keep going/Don’t listen any advise

9999. Linkedin - shit

1 Like