HackerNoon API?

Hey!

I’m working on https://mentionme.app - an online community keyword notifier. I wanted to add HackerNoon to it, but I’ve failed to find any information about whether or not an API for it is available. Can someone here advise me?

3 Likes

Hey there! Hacker Noon dev here. :slight_smile: We don’t currently have an API, but who knows what the future holds?

I love the idea around your app, and I’d like to have support for this use case when we can! Could you tell me a bit more about what you’d need from our end, to make this happen? I don’t see it happening anytime soon, but cool use cases like this will help move the needle. :wink:

Best of luck with your app!

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words. I don’t need much - just to be able to fetch new user content (threads, articles, comments). I don’t know how you implement it internally, but Hacker News for example assigns an ID to every “item” (thread, comment, poll), and provides a way to fetch the max ID and fetch an item with a given ID. And that’s enough.

1 Like

For sure! This is a really cool idea. :slight_smile:

That makes sense, thanks for clarifying! As I said before, I don’t see it happening in the near future, but beyond that…who knows? :wink: I’ll keep your use case in mind, absolutely.

Again, best of luck! Do you have a Twitter handle? I was going to tweet about your project from my personal account (@ajpocus), and I’d like to give you a shout-out if I can.

By the way, I just signed up for mentionme, set up my alerts, but when I saved the settings, there was no success message. I also didn’t receive an email when I signed up, or when I set up my alerts. I realize you may not have gotten to this yet – product development takes time, right? Just wanted to give you a heads-up.

Thank you, that’s very kind of you. I don’t use Twitter myself.

Yes, it does take time… And use by real people. Imperfections get discovered, and improvements slowly but surely accumulate as user feedback comes in. So thank you. I understand the necessity of the “save button” feedback - I’ll get to it!

I deliberately don’t send a message immediately when a user signs up. I described my approach and published my tool for contacting my users here: https://geekmail.app

While running code-dog.app I made sure to send each of my users a welcome message. But I didn’t just want a dry automatic message - what would be the point of that, other than annoying people with a senseless disruption? I wanted to learn what my users needed and how they used the app - I approached everyone individually and my emails reflected that.
I guess a balance between feedback and avoiding disruption needs to be found.

1 Like

We need an API! Reeeallyy

3 Likes

Yup. I know you guys have a lot to deal with having just recently gone live, but the API would be greatly appreciated, as it would allow me to pick up new articles I write automatically, rather than have to add it via my website’s CMS.

2 Likes

Awesome:)