[Hacker Noon Dev Updates] Hacker Noon + Google Analytics = Happy Authors

[Hacker Noon Dev Updates] Hacker Noon + Google Analytics = Happy Authors

Austin here, your friendly neighborhood software engineer from Hacker Noon, with some exciting news! We are pleased as punch to announce that as of today, shortly after this blog post is set to be published, you’ll be able to see pageviews and total time read for all of your stories, since Hacker Noon began, just like on our old platform. How cool is that?

3 Likes

awesome improvement! did it refreshing each time when we open stats? or it has somesort of caching feature

@austin Great work on this Google Analytics integration. When I look back on contributions to the internet, it’s cool to know that over 3+ months was spent reading my own Hacker Noon stories. Are you curious how long people have historically spent reading your stories? Time is our most valuable asset, and Hacker Noon now provides contributors with the total time readers spend on all their stories.

2 Likes

Thanks @David! I feel a lot better about our stats page now that it’s powered by a robust, reliable source like GA, as opposed to a custom-built solution that, to be honest, didn’t get the time and attention it deserved (you know, because of the other million-and-one things to do :wink:).

Thanks to you too @arthur.tkachenko! Right now, it’s refreshing the first few times you open stats, and after that, Google appears to cache the response on their end. Of course, if you publish a new story, the query changes as does the response, so the cache is invalidated and the request must be made in full, again. We do intend to build out caching of our own, especially on this page, absolutely.

1 Like

3 months, 7 days, and 22 hours since moving to HackerNoon for me!

2 Likes

4 days 20 hours only :frowning: but 10k page views.
will try to improve it

1 Like