Freedom Code: From One Dreamer to Others

Freedom Code: From One Dreamer to Others

I’ve been writing software since the golden age. I knew the founders of Novel, Microsoft, Borland, Evans & Sutherland, Pansophic, Apple, Oracle, Electronic Data Systems, Computer Associates and others. Most of the legends are gone now, but what a trip. They would dream about a world connected by computers. Some of the legends became wealthy from luck or just good business sense, and some did not, but they were all dreamers. That is what they all had in common.

For my entire adult life, I have witnessed humans desperately eager to surrender their free will. Asimov said that humanity as a whole follows the rules of Chaos Theory. Like the free molecules of a waterfall, they remain a part of the waterfall and are entirely predictable. I finally accept his truth.

How can humanity justify its survival in the face of a natural disaster that they are unable to stop? How could one individual, one water molecule, convince a much more advanced intelligence that humanity is worth saving from the inevitable Earthbound asteroid? Human destiny is already predetermined. Is there anything, anything at all, that makes them unique and unpredictable?