Double Diamond Discovery

Double Diamond Discovery

Saying ‘No’

1 Like

Yee.Ok. Just say NO -said Nancy and see where we are at now 50 years later.
Proof is in the pudding.

Nice article. I’d just add that activities in the double diamond are continuously occurring, rather than being a linear process. For instance, it’s never like the process of generating ideas stops. Maybe good to make that clearer.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @telefunkal. You are absolutely right - the activities are continuous. I will indeed make the more clear.

1 Like

just read this https://www.mindtheproduct.com/2019/09/a-product-managers-guide-to-saying-no/ related article. Similar theme and better written.

Nice article Nick! Personally I find companies struggling with the first diamond (“building the right product”) more than with the second (“building the product right”). Perhaps because corporations are good at setting up, managing and measuring the outcomes of projects, but not so good at the fuzzy front end. That fuzzy front end needs funding as well, but usually there is no funding if there is no project. All time, money and engery is spent on the projects roadmap already. Hence, there is limited “real Discovery”. Also, companies still struggle to involve their users throughout the process, understanding, validating testing, say every two weeks with the target audience, out there. Thanks again for a nice and thought provoking article!

Thanks for the feedback @UX - I share your experience whereby funding is allocated to diamond two - AND with a deadline. In my ideal world those responsible for the funding should allocate that funding to problems, rather than solutions, and then provide the necessary air cover to allow the experts to do what they need to do. As you say diamond one is “fuzzy” and like any other research is actually never ‘done’ - this can be tricky when a solution is tied to other strategic priorities. For me the difficult part is the pace of discovery - and getting an idea through discovery in a ‘reasonable’ timeframe (which by the way I think is probably no more than 2 weeks). I will follow up this article with a deep dive into each diamond. So please keep the feedback coming!