Does Column Width of 80 Make Sense in 2019?

Does Column Width of 80 Make Sense in 2019?

One of the oldest coding practice is to keep line width 80, and many of us follow it blindly but have you ever thought why we have this practice in the first place?

1 Like

How wide is your article on Hackernoon? Around 80 characters on my screen. 65 if I turn it into fixed-width characters. Microsoft’s documentation code samples shows only 110 characters(*). Github’s code view is around 130 characters wide before showing a scrollbar. Anyway, the point is that code doesn’t only live in the editor. You will paste it into articles and tutorials. And would be a shame if a bug got into production because a code reviewer hadn’t bothered to vertical scroll a bit. 80 characters is a good guideline, I think. I try my best to never post an inline comment nor start a new code statement when I have passed the 80th column.

(*) If it wasnt for me being annoyed at having to scroll vertically back and forth to read their tutorial code earlier today, I probably wouldn’t have made an account on Hackernoon just to reply to your article. :smirk: