Ask Me Anything with Brian Wallace, Founder and President of NowSourcing

Brian Wallace is the Founder and President of NowSourcing, an industry leading infographic design agency based in Louisville, KY and Cincinnati, OH which works with companies that range from startups to Fortune 500s. Brian also runs #LinkedInLocal events nationwide, and hosts the Next Action Podcast. Brian has been named a Google Small Business Advisor for 2016-present and joined the SXSW Advisory Board in 2019.

Ask Him Anything now and join for the answers on September 9th, 10 am EST.

15 Likes

Hi! Does animation help to perceive information and analyze it or rather acts as a distraction? When is it appropriate to use animation in infographics ?

1 Like

How much infographics is a lot for 1 case study ?

1 Like

Hi Brian!
What small businesses should never do when starting up?

1 Like

Hi, thanks for doing it!
Do you think formal education is important for career in tech or tech business?

1 Like

Hi there!
What is the best project management strategy for small businesses operating remotely ?

1 Like

Hi! What is the one thins that concerns you in the Internet right now ?

1 Like

Hey there!
If you’d start your own business in a field different from infographics, what it had been?

1 Like

Can you please share a checklist for LinkedIn profile optimisation for individual interested in tech career?

1 Like

How AI is changing the economy ?

1 Like

What should be the traits of company leader?
Does the leadership style of CEOs varies depending on company field of expertise ?

1 Like

How the crypto startup scene may change in the next 10 years?

1 Like

Hi! If you could change one thing in your life, what would it be?

1 Like

Great question @gregory! I firmly believe that rich media is a great attention grabber as well as a method to keep the visitor attracted to the content.

That said, much of the web is arcane and held together by bubble gum and scotch tape :joy:, so we are purposeful in making a lot of flat, 2-dimensional infographics for this reason that we can’t count on standards being supported.

1 Like

@dora can you clarify your question? I think you’re asking how much information is needed to make a proper infographic.

The way I like to think about it is more of a measurement of reading time - the sweet spot IMHO is a 2-5 minute read, however this is more relative to doing more with less. Don’t use more information than needed to over-communicate. Simple isn’t easy and less is more.

@lewis I love this question!
Most businesses fail before they start and don’t even know it.

A lot of people are subject matter experts - good at a specific skill - but don’t belong in biz for themselves.

If you don’t know how to sell and how to market, you better find a partner, hire someone good at these, or go back to work for someone else.

Further elaboration -> https://nowsourcing.com/2015/07/22/dont-become-entrepreneur/

1 Like

@community_nick thanks for the great Q!
Even though I have extensive formal education, I feel that unless you are getting a terminal degree (lawyer, doctor, HVAC tech, etc), there isn’t as much of a need as there was for this formal career trajectory as in former years.

Many companies have come out on record saying that degrees don’t matter. Also there are lots of certificate programs and microcredentialing programs these days to help you.

Online education + COVID will change the game nowadays.

@lian - I think you’re going to get lots of different schools of thought on this one, and it very much depends on the size, nature, and fabric of your team.

For me and what we do at NowSourcing, we just moved to 100% virtual during COVID and use Slack for internal comms, Teamwork for external PM, and a variety of technologies for meetings for weekly types of huddles.

@ryan_coder ooh, great question!

I think that people don’t understand the fragility of the internet.
Here are some problem spots we wrote/did an infographic about a while ago -> https://www.business2community.com/infographics/heres-destroy-internet-infographic-01305338

Censorship and private ownership is scary too.

1 Like

@andy-connory great question!
I actually didn’t start in infographics and have a weird career trajectory, lol.
My undergrad is in pre-law and philosophy and also have a few computer science / internet / business Masters degrees.

I worked in the tech field for my first 10 years and went off on my own starting NowSourcing 14 years ago. We started as more of a fractional / outsourced CTO/CIO model (hence the name NowSourcing), but quickly moved to the social media field in 2006 and have been doing infographics since late 2008/early 2009.