Are Long Blog Post The Key To An Unfair SEO Advantage?

Are Long Blog Post The Key To An Unfair SEO Advantage?

Are long blog posts the key to an unfair SEO advantage? In 2011 Google released an algorithm update called Panda to filter thin and low-quality content. The Panda update changed the search results, probably doing more good than harm. But algorithms are still lackluster at deciphering content at anything near-human level. Case in point, Google News is terrible at spotting the original or most in-depth stories.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! I can’t comment on blog posts, but I do know that in other situations, length does matter, as long as content is focused as well-written. The key is well-written, as though written by experts for humans.

After posting 100+ lengthy content blocks on e-commerce pages, I’ve seen these pages consistently drive more search traffic. They rank across a broader set of keywords, and they typically rank better for their target keywords as well.

Few SEO people realize, I believe, how little traffic these target keywords drive in many cases. The bulk of traffic comes from longtail keywords that may not have been targeted, but for which the page ranks, now that you’ve made it more broadly relevant. These keywords may each be responsible for only 5 to 20 visits a month, but when the page ranks for 400+ of these keywords, the traffic adds up quickly.

From this I infer that Google’s artificial intelligence has evolved to a point where it can distinguish, to a degree, between good, informative writing and bad SEO text that the SEO community is so notorious for producing.

“Wrong, wrong, wrong!” did you read the post? I’m unable to find anything you said that isn’t addressed directly within this article.