Are interviews for developers are actually working?

I see a lot of controversies around job interview.
Especially for juniors and seniors. I think an issue presented not only at my country.

I’m not a real recruiter. But a big chunk of my day time I spend talking with different software engineers that looking for job, or freelancers looking for projects, etc.

My intern Vadim start to look a full-time job and this post inspired by conversation with him. Want to keep some of my replies and later create an article about it.

At my previous company, I made at least 60 face-to-face interviews with local developers.

As part of my internship programm, ie ("Coding school" project diary) I talked with a lot of people remotely. I think I made another 50-60 long interviews there as well, and maybe more than 100 simple chats with students around the globe.

So I think I have some data about it

As a Web developer at the leadingPHP Development Company . as I also attend lots of interviews and I think practical interview rather than theoretical is a very good way to taste technical skill…because in this session candidate goes with very much pressure and in that time performance matters as to hire developer.

I’m still conflicted about this topic.

Not attacking, but are you really sure, that putting people on stress is a great way to do work? I mean if you’re not a flight pilot, you may not need to be resistable to stress. And it’s not an army

Again, there so many things - that came from old jobs and I don’t think it’s work with tech usually.

For sure, for companies like google, you can spend 6 month only preparing for interview, because they have a brand, but at our current stage - there so many demand on right people.

Find one interesting product today: https://www.producthunt.com/posts/interviewpass-2

as they say, “hire slow and fire fast.”

recruiting industry likes dating analogies too much… but could you imagine deciding to get married or not after one date?

agree with this quote, but hate it.

it’s very business-ish. Hope other people would’t have similar expeirence with firing teammates as i have. it was part of my job - nobody want to do it.

I think I still have that bad energy on me

I think the biggest issue is that the process wont work for everyone.

Recruiters often time are not technical. They ask questions that either show they haven’t read your resume or understand the tech they are asking about. Also asking for comp instead of just giving hiring bands. This would seriously make job hunting easier instead of having to low ball or price out of a job.

Also, so many companies have started the LeetCode or go home route and honestly? That blows. Not only for junior devs that are only really cramming in solutions and not understanding why or how to apply it, but also for the seniors that have to go back and do arbitrary box-checking. More companies are trending towards “take home projects” with a closed or open (within reason) deadline. I personally prefer this to LeetCode or whiteboarding because 95% of the time it’s much more applicable to what I’ll actually be doing at the company. Bonus points if you’re paid for your time.

Everybody is frustrated because you’re having to prep for an onslaught of variance in what to expect in your interview. It’s like a second job, and that’s insane.

2 Likes