A Decentralized Internet: A Sitcom Pipe-Dream or An Impending Possibility

A Decentralized Internet: A Sitcom Pipe-Dream or An Impending Possibility

Viewers of popular HBO sitcom Silicon Valley would already be familiar with the idea of Decentralized Internet. Termed as the ‘new Internet’ in the series, the lead characters conceive a decentralized peer-to-peer (P2P) network built using smartphones. They even create their own coin and launch an ICO.

While 3rd party VPNs and other security software services can be venerable to hacks, it is not always the case of black and white. Free VPN services completely apply to the mentioned saying “If You’re Not Paying, You’re The Product”, but as for paid VPN services and from what I have read online, it seems that providers like NordVPN and other non-US based providers (based in Panamas or British Virgin Islands) tend to follow strict protocol, digging secure tunnels for internet users that want to remain anonymous are have a sense of freedom online, until Web3.0 hits.

I agree with what you say about the paid VPN services. Personally, however, I would feel a lot more secure if I’m using a decentralized service. One can never be too sure as to what is hidden under ‘terms and conditions’.