3-Minute Font and Design Tips for Hackers: Pacifico

Hi everyone! I write a series called FontDiscovery. Every week I write a digestible visual guide about a new font with examples and case studies to help makers step up their design game. This week, I covered Pacifico, a fun brush lettering script that brings a retro feel.

Font Details

It’s all about casualness. Pacifico has several uppercase letters drawn in lowercase form, to appear extra laidback. The round and exaggerated stroke also make us feel at ease.

How should I use it for branding?

This font communicates fun, easy, and retro. If your brand is looking to communicate these values to your audience, Pacifico could work for you. The light and regular are the most refreshing of the weights and can be great for logos. The bold is very thick and more suitable for statement-making items, like social media posts or packaging.

How should I use it for marketing?

Pacifico is fantastic for big display text. It has a lot of character, so try using it sparingly. A good use case is when you have a few words you want to highlight on a marketing graphic. It is not best for longer pieces of text since it can be tough to read.

See examples, use-cases, and sources of this issue below. Subscribe if you feel like. I share similar tips every week!